Nathan's Fun Facts
- Nathan’s Famous products are sold in all 50 states at over 45,000 US locations.
- The original Nathan’s Famous hot dog stand opened in 1916.
- In 2010, Nathan’s Famous sold over 425 MILLION hot dogs. All of those hot dogs placed end to end would wrap around the world!
- In 2009, Nathan’s hosted a hot dog bun eating contest with three female elephants competing against 3 male contestants. The elephants ate 492 buns in 6 minutes, compared to 180 buns by the male contestants.
- In 1933, to celebrate the end of prohibition, Nathan’s Famous served free beer. Cheers!
- Nathan’s is proudly served at the home stadiums of the New York Yankees, New York Mets, New York Giants, New York Jets, New Jersey Devils, Brooklyn Nets and many others.
- China held its first Nathan’s hot dog eating contest on June 19, 2011.
- Nathan’s Famous was featured on the popular TV show Seinfeld, where the entire episode was based on visiting the original restaurant on Coney Island.
- In 2011, Nathan’s created a separate Hot Dog Eating Contest for women. Sonya Thomas was the FIRST ever woman champion, eating 40 hot dogs and buns. GO SONYA!
- Nathan’s opened its second restaurant in Oceanside, Long Island in 1955.
- Nathan’s opened its third restaurant in Yonkers, New York in 1965.
- In 2009, Joey Chestnut set the world record for the Nathan’s Famous 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest eating 68 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. That’s approximately 20,400 calories and 6,000 more calories than the average person eats in a week. WOW!
- Every year at the Hot Dog Eating Contest, Nathan’s Famous donates 100,000 hot dogs to the Food Bank for New York City, a hunger relief charity that is part of the America’s Second Harvest network.
- Nathan’s Famous is Coca-Cola’s oldest chain customer.
- Nathan’s opened its fourth restaurant in Times Square, New York City in 1971.
- To open his hot dog stand, Nathan borrowed $300 from his friends Jimmy Durante and Eddie Cantor. The hot dogs were sold for only 5 cents and made using his wife Ida’s grandmother’s secret spice recipe. That recipe is still used today!
We Love that our Fans Just Can’t Get Enough of Nathan’s.
Check out our downloadable wallpaper gallery to keep Nathan’s fun and flavor close wherever you are!